Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Bautista tops opening day at Jerez
Alvaro Bautista set the pace during the first day of 2009 250cc testing, at Jerez on Monday, when the local star outpaced fellow former 125cc world champion Thomas Luthi by just over 0.3sec.
Third fastest behind the Aprilia one-two was Thai Honda rider Ratthapark Wilairot (+0.525sec), while former factory KTM rider Hiroshi Aoyama was a fraction slower in fourth on his debut for Team Scot Honda.
Another pair of 125cc world champions, Gabor Talmacsi (+1.1sec) and Mike di Meglio (+2.007sec), will be stepping up to the quarter-litre class in 2009, and the pair set the fifth and sixth fastest lap times on Monday.
Reigning 250cc world champion Marco Simoncelli was not present.
Jerez 250cc test - day one:
1. Alvaro Bautista Aprilia 1min 44.351sec
2. Thomas Luthi Aprilia 1min 44.675sec
3. Ratthapark Wilairot Honda 1min 44.928sec
4. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1min 44.978sec
5. Gabor Talmacsi Aprilia 1min 45.361sec
6. Mike Di Meglio Aprilia 1min 46.358sec
7. Raffaele De Rosa Honda 1min 46.425sec
8. Lukas Pesek Aprilia 1min 46.500sec
Julian Simon led an Aspar Aprilia one-two during the first day of 2009 125cc testing at Jerez on Monday.
Simon lapped the Spanish Grand Prix circuit in a best time of 1min 48.875sec, almost half a second quicker than Smith, with Marc Marquez a fraction slower in third for KTM.
Sandro Cortese was almost two-seconds from Simon in fourth place for Derbi, with 2008 British Grand Prix winner Scott Redding a further 0.12sec back for Blusens Aprilia.