Thursday, August 14, 2008

Aprilia Rip it Report: AMA Supermoto round 2


Stafford springs, CT - After a long 2800 mile trek from the X Games to Stafford Springs, Connecticut, the Aprilia Rip It Energy Fuel Team arrived at Stafford Speedway for round 2 of the AMA Supermoto National Championship. Last season this event proved to be a huge success, and with racing legend, Doug Henry promoting the event, it once again produced a fine showing.


The Aprilia Rip It Energy Fuel Team owner and rider Darryl Atkins earned second place for the Unlimited event aboard the SXV 5.5. Darryl was amongst the front riders at the start rounding turn one in 4th place. On lap number 4, he was able to pass KTM rider, Josh Chisum to move into 3rd place where he was able to begin chasing the two front runners. In the end, the 2nd place rider, Micky Dymond, crashed in the last lap while making a move for the lead. Atkins finished in 2nd in the race and is currently 3rd place in the point standings.


“It was important for me to get a solid result today and not to let the other guys get too many points on us. This championship is long, and now that I have started to recover from my broken wrist, and with today’s 2nd place, I feel the racing is just getting started for me now, and really look forward to the next few rounds. I have moved into 3rd in the championship so I plan to keep the pressure on, and start winning some races to get to the top of the ledger board.” commented Darryl after the race.

Reining AMA Supermoto Unlimited Champion, Benny Carlson, is focused on the 450 Supermoto class this year on the SXV 4.5 and finished in 6th place. “I did not get the result I wanted in the heat race as I went down in the dirt section,” explained Carlson. “That had me lining up on the third row of the grid however, I made some aggressive passes on the first lap, and worked my way back up to 6th. Had I had a better start, I felt we could have gotten on the podium today.” Benny is currently is 5th place in the Supermoto Premier class points standings.


RESULTS

Heat

Darryl - Unlimited Class - 2nd

Ben – 450 Class - 5th

Final

Darryl – Unlimited Class - 2nd

Ben – 450 Class - 6th

Championship points standings

Darryl – Unlimited Class - 3rd

Ben – 450 Class - 5th

No comments: